Friday, April 15, 2011

Love and Art


(Originally posted January 14, 2010)

I've been buying a lot of books lately.

I also love to buy new music. And here's what I notice about myself:  Every time I buy a book or CD that I really like, I automatically like the person behind it.

I'm a bit of a bandwagon-jumper anyway, so if I feel like showing some love for someone's art, I can't help but show some love for the artist. It's like the artist and the art cannot be divorced from one another, at least in my mind. So I must be a fan of both the work and the one behind the work.

Maybe this makes sense in a universal way. When the good folks of the first century asked Jesus what the greatest commands were (essentially, what the God of the Universe wants from us), He said it could all be summed up in two laws:
             *Love God.
             *Love people.
              (Matthew 22:37-40)

And these two commands are so intricately tied, almost united. To truly love the Creator, we must show love to His creation (mankind). And in so loving His creation, the Creator receives even more of our hearts. I'm starting to see that it's kind of a circular thing, and we become more and more devoted to both the creation and the Creator as we grow in this way of living.

We become a “fan” of both.

HOW to show that love is a whole other thesis, but God has a way of opening eyes and doors for those who are looking for opportunities.

Right now, there's lots of our fellow creations suffering in Haiti. They're homeless, hungry, thirsty, and scared. Some of them know God and some don't yet. Why not find one of the many organizations sending help and show some love by giving? And certainly pray. And then pray some more.

The miracle is that the Artist can make beauty from destruction and chaos. And sometimes He allows His other works of art to play a part in something new He's creating. Let our hearts break for them. Let our hands serve them as He allows.

Love God. Love people.

No comments:

Post a Comment