Friday, April 15, 2011

Broken Pieces

(originally posted October 1, 2009)


I love it when I stumble upon a good illustration!

No, seriously, I almost tripped over it this morning while I was finishing up my miles.

I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I can be a bit “complicated” (isn't that just a nice way of saying difficult and a little crazy?), so I always try to search for truth and understanding during my run/walks; to get into the creation and to get that inner dialogue going with God. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention this morning until this little bit of truth almost literally swept me off my feet:

I was about a block from home and there in the middle of the road was this gorgeous piece of thick, expensive-looking ceramic tile shattered into chunks. Well, being the frugal salvage-hound that I am, I feverishly began gathering pieces and thought out loud, “I could make something with this! I could take these broken pieces of tile, some wood, some grout, maybe a nice poly-coating and make a beautiful mosaic!” (Never mind the fact that I don't actually know how to do that yet, but c'mon, there's instructions online for everything, right?)

Apparently, someone else had left it there in the road, because it wasn't worth much to them all broken like that. It sure wouldn't be very useful the way it was. But, in that instant, all I saw was what it COULD be, so I had to pick it up and lug it home to begin the process.

A few steps later, the revelation came. And the message was simple and very clear:

“God sees potential in the broken pieces.”

Broken pieces – that's definitely me. I constantly bring Him all my baggage and my “what's wrong with me”s. But today I heard Him reply, “Hang in there. I'm doing something with this. And, trust me, it's gonna be beautiful.”

I love it! And it's just what I needed today, so I hope it serves you, too.

As for now, I have a date with e-how and their mosaics department. Pictures to follow . . . eventually. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment