Friday, April 15, 2011

I Can't Forget It . . .


(Originally posted August 4, 2010)

I'm wondering today how far we will go to keep ourselves comfortable. This country and our culture is all I've ever known, so the mantra “comfort is king” sits pretty well with me. It's the American way, I guess. But in what seems to be the ultimate self-gratifying society, we also keep ourselves pretty insulated from the realities in the rest of the world. These injustices are relegated to ninety-second news spots that are sandwiched between the weather report and an expose on the latest in summer swimwear fashions. And there are some heart-stopping events that our media doesn't consider news at all, so we never even know they're happening. Our bubble stays intact.

Lately, I've become acquainted with a group known as The Voice of the Martyrs. This organization is seeking to educate the comfortable Christians (that's us) about what our brothers and sisters are dealing with throughout the world. Yes, there are plenty of places where becoming a Christian is seen as a death sentence, where they are very literally carrying their crosses every day. These are amazing stories of unshakeable faith. Please take some time to check it out:


These people humble me. Their stories lay heavy on my mind. I'm not really sure what to do with all of it. It leaves me with so many questions: Why am I sitting safely in an air-conditioned house feeling no trepidation to openly proclaim my own faith, when another woman on another continent is desperately trying to hide herself and her children from the hoards of angry extremists who are seeking to eradicate Jesus' people? How can I help her? What would God have me do with this? And what would I do if I were suddenly placed in her shoes?

This morning I was reading about John the Baptist. His was not a comfortable life. He lived out in the wilderness wearing itchy clothes and eating bugs. He became a well-known teacher with a huge following, all for the sole purpose of pointing his followers to another Teacher. And because he audaciously stood for God's truth, he was thrown in jail and eventually beheaded. This was his part in God's story, and he embraced it and accepted it! Could I do that?

Sara Groves has a song with these words:
“I saw what I saw and I can't forget it.
I heard what I heard and I can't go back.
I know what I know and I can't deny it . . .”

If you'll take a few minutes to get acquainted with the suffering members of our family, I think you'll feel that way, too. God has certainly used their stories to get my attention.

As I'm typing this, I'm glancing at this bracelet that I got from VOM that reads “Bound with them – Hebrews 13:3”. It reminds me to remember, to pray for these courageous followers of Christ. That's certainly a first big step in our efforts to help them. And I'm just trusting God to guide any further steps. Only He knows what part we are to play in His beautiful Story.

“Remember those who are in prison, as though you were in prison with them; those who are being tortured, as though you yourselves were being tortured.” Hebrews 13:3 NRSV

No comments:

Post a Comment