Tuesday, March 19, 2013

CHALL-AUNGE!


"CHALL-AUNGE!"

Go ahead, watch it!  This is greatness.  Every time I decide to give myself a challenge, I can see this scene in my head:  "CHALL-AUNGE!"  Man, I wish I could tap like that!  Honestly, pretty much all of my synapses link, in some way, to either old song lyrics or to The Cosby Show.

Anyway, since it's spring, it's time for some rebirth and rededication to the craft.  Usually when I decide I need a "CHALL-AUNGE", I pick a race to train for or pick up a new book/study of some sort.  This year, I'm feeling called to something different, something maybe even more difficult for me and my lack of stick-to-it-iveness (and a little more annoying for all those around me who must endure it).

"Truth sounds true-er in music."  I recently picked up this nugget from some great writers much further along in the game than I, and I love that principle.  It's been ringing in my brain for the past week or so -- now what to do with it?

 "Light bulb."


I also love the acrostic poems, songs and writings found in the psalms and other places throughout the Old Testament -- each line a successive letter from their alphabet.  The idea that the writer, guided by the Spirit of God Himself, could take truth and express it within a kind of limiting framework is a beautiful challenge -- excuse me, "CHALL-AUNGE!"  C'mon, say it with me!  (See what I mean by annoying for those around me?)

So here I go:  in an attempt to sharpen my song-crafting skills and force myself to work even when I'd rather tackle a new Pinterest project or camp out with some old episodes of Parks and Rec, a year-long assignment is taking shape. Between this Easter and next Easter, here's what needs to happen:  26 new songs, one title for each successive letter of the alphabet.  That's 52 weeks, one new song every two weeks (or so -- a little grace here on this part).

They don't even have to be really good songs, just an exercise in dedication to the craft.  At this point, some of you may be saying, "Well, you've already gotten that 'not really good' part down to a science," to which I would reply, "That's rude."  To which I would further reply (and remind myself) that you only get to excellence through dedication, hard work, and more dedication.  So perhaps by the time I hit letter W, I'll be a better writer.  It can't hurt to try anyway.

Why am I telling you all this when you're probably busy coming up with your own "CHALL-AUNGE"s for yourselves?  I need some accountability.  So if you would, please periodically ask me what letter I'm on, make me feel really bad about not staying on top of this thing (shame is a powerful motivator), remind me that something good might just be born out of this little (er, large) endeavor.

Can you tell I'm not very self-motivated?

I need you, people!  As a side note, I'm a bit of a nut job when I'm not writing -- it's the only therapy I can afford, and you would not like me when I'm un-"treated".

So for the next week or so, I'm scoping out titles.  I will be eavesdropping on your conversations and writing down the interesting words or phrases you utter. You may not even realize that lyrical gold has just dripped from your lips!  Then hopefully you will forget that you were the one who came up with those words so I won't have to give you partial credit.  Also, I'm thinking the letter X may be tough, so I'm just flat-out taking suggestions for that one.

There it is.  Keep me honest, friends.  If you need some accountability on your own "CHALL-AUNGE!", then by all means stomp your tap shoes and share it.  I'm more than happy to also help you feel badly about yourself for being a slacker in whatever it is you are endeavoring to accomplish.  Let's do this together. ;)

Acrostic album, go!

2 comments:

  1. Take out the "not very good" part and I love this because, well, you are good! Love this idea. Can't wait to hear some catchy titles, especially your "Ode to the Xerox Machine"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometime between 6 months and a year ago I read a blog post that suggested I daily consider praising God for 26 things that I am thankful for (one for each letter of the alphabet). It became a habit so perhaps that might be a good place to start with song ideas also.

    ReplyDelete